Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Twitter

Yes, I signed up for a Twitter account thinking it would be fun to use to share random thoughts with people. Well, I just don't have enough time to post my random thoughts with people. They are too fleeting for me to make it to my computer (haven't set up the text-Tweet) and tweet in time. So, I'm really bad at Tweeting.

As linked from the Food Section blog, Ruth Reichl Tweets ""Judging by twitter, brown butter may be the sexiest pair in the English language. Noticed how often they show up together?"   (And, yes, I agree... it's right up there with "bacon"). I scrolled through the rest of her tweets and noticed personal responses to other recognizable figures, such as Rick Bayless. I feel like a voyer, peering into someone's life, that I'm not meant to see. I noticed that she is following other notables like Susan Orlean, and Mark Bittman. People who once were guarded by distance and, sometime, an entourage of body guards, are no longer inaccessible. You can even follow our tech-saavy president on Twitter and see what he's up to.

I realize that Twitter is rapidly changing the way we communicate with each other. But it also has the potential to change our relationships with people we know and thos we don't; and the way we see the world. Maybe this is really it.

No comments: