Saturday, March 22, 2008

If you're going to San Francisco...

We went to San Francisco a few weeks ago, partially because I had a meeting in Sonoma, but partially to have our last weekend getaway before baby. We took advantage of the fact that work was paying for part of it, and flew up to hang out in the City. Saturday, Katie took us around town and we saw the Chinese New Year's Parade in Union Square. It was rainy and really windy, and all of the marchers and floats were covered in plastic. But it didn't take away from the festivities.

Sunday we hung out with Katie at the SF MOMA. They have some fabulous exhibits, but I have to admit, that I really don't "get" it all. But I still appreciate it.

Monday, we leisurely drove from San Francisco to Sonoma, through the Presidio and up Highway 1. We didn't do much but sit in the car, but it was absolutely gorgeous. Once we made it to Sonoma, we had a fabulous dinner at the Fig Cafe, in Glen Ellen. I highly recommend it for anyone in the area.

Even though it was a short trip, we managed to eat really well, and enjoy ourselves as usual.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So what did you eat at the Fig Cafe?

allie said...

Probably things I shouldn't have eaten. We started with the Petite Basque cheese which came with flat bread, apricot preserves and smoked almonds. Then we shared a very simple salad and a pizza with mascarpone, figs, prosciutto, and arugula. For dessert, we had this really yummy lemon cheesecake. It was to die for!!

Anonymous said...

YUM. YUM. Wow that sounds good.

Israelis, by the way, don't care what pregnant women eat as long as they get enough iron. (They're crazy about iron.) I asked my ob once if I should avoid soft cheese like Dr. Sears told me to and she didn't understand why anyone would do that. These kosher people love their dairy!

Also they think its fine for pregnant women to drink wine moderately. My sister is a l&d nurse in the US and she told me to flat out lie and say no when they ask at the hospital if I'd had any wine during pregnancy. Apparently they're required by law to ask, and she says if you admit to even an occasional glass of wine it becomes an ordeal. So... my advice, if you're drinking the occasional glass of wine - which I don't expect you to admit to in this public forum - LIE.

That is all. Except I need to say YUM again.