Wednesday, July 25, 2007

To my elected officials...

I noticed that there are a great deal of programs that help uninsured children. Why is there no assistance to help uninsured adults? My brother works for a restaurant part-time and goes to school part-time. Because he is over 25 he is ineligible for coverage under my parents' policy. He makes too much money to qualify for Medi-Cal, and has no company sponsored plan he can participate in. He had individual insurance, but because of the ever increasing cost - it went from $180 to $250 without him receiving notice - he had to cancel his coverage. To top things off, after he received a small increase in pay, and he reapplied, he was told he was ineligible because of a pre-existing condition - asthma. I have two questions: Why are the health insurance companies being allowed to deny coverage based on a pre-existing condition like asthma (which, I might add, is a result of the poor air quality in the Central Valley); and why are my elected officials doing nothing to make sure that all Californians have access to health insurance, or affordable health care? Are the health insurance companies donating that much money to politicians' campaigns that my elected officials are answering to the health insurance companies and not to the people of California?

No comments: